Writing desks add a certain charm to your office, living room, or hallway. They also fit any decor and style.
I don’t have the biggest of spaces for a work area in my apartment, and when I went shopping for an office desk, I looked at writing desks. They are smaller than normal study or computer desks and have just enough space for my laptop and notebook. I also ensured my office chair doesn’t take up a lot of space so my small office still feels roomy and like I can breathe in there.
My sister has a big house and coincidentally bought a writing desk not too long ago. She placed her white writing desk in a corner in the living room, so whenever she wants to sit and write, the desk is there. It also fits really well with her decor and is just the perfect space if the urge to write (or type) bites her.
You may be in a similar situation – with an office area too small for a normal PC desk or want to create a little writer’s nook like my sister did. But how do you choose the best white writing desk?
I’ve got you covered with an in-depth buyers guide that contains all the criteria you need to look at when making a purchasing decision. But first, here are my top 7 white writing desk ideas!
The 7 Best White Writing Desk Ideas
Here are the best white writing desks currently on the market:
1. CubiCubi Computer Desk 32″ Study Writing Table for Home Office – Best Overall
The CubiCubi Computer Desk Study Writing Table for Home Office is a 32-inch writing desk. The melamine worktop is white while the steel table legs are dark gray. You get an iron hook on one side of the desk – it’s ideal to hang a cable, your bookbag or backpack, or your headphones. The other side features a non-woven fabric storage bag so you can keep the books and notepads you use often close by.
The desk is durable and sturdy and the diagonal scaffold braces and triangle iron connect well to the table frame.
The desk measures 31.5” x 19.7” x 29.5” (L x W x H).
- Vintage style
- White tabletop is easy to clean and scratch proof
- Multi-purpose; writing desk you can place in your study, home office, work office, living room, or bedroom
- A stable writing desk with triangle strut and solid metal frame
- Installation guide is included; easy assembly in 5 steps
- Convenient storage bag and hook
- Some reviewers would like an extra hook for the desk but none is available for purchase
- Desk may be wobbly
Add some vintage to your study with this white writing desk. Pair it with a great office chair from Wayfair.
2. 4NM 31.5″ Small Desk No-Assembly Folding Computer Desk – Best Modern White Writing Desk
The 4NM Small Desk No-Assembly Computer Desk is a folded desk. You can fold this and set it up within seconds, or you can unfold it to store it away when not needed. Measuring 31.5” x 17.72” x 29.72” (L x W x H), the width drops to 2.55 inches when the table is folded. Thus, this white writing desk is ideal for small spaces.
The writing desk has a white high-quality particleboard desktop, and the black/dark gray metal iron frame is sturdy. This desk comes with two hooks so you can hang your bag or headphones.
- Modern look
- Fold it when not in use for easy storage, unfold it when you need a work surface
- Versatile writing desk, ideal for your hallway, office, study, or bedroom
- Can place a small laptop and monitor on the desk
- Easy to assemble
- If folded and unfolded too often, the writing desk doesn’t last long (about 4-6 months)
- Edges or corners are sharp, so beware if you have kids or an elderly parent staying with you
For a compact, modern-looking white writing desk that you can fold away when you need more space, this product is a good choice.
3. Need Small Computer Desk – Best Sturdy White Writing Desk
The Need Small Computer Desk comes in an all-white option, where the worktop is white as well as the table legs. There is also the option for black table legs with a white tabletop, white legs with a black desktop, and white legs with a teak finish tabletop.
The size of this writing desk is 31.5” x 15.7” x 29.2” (L x W x H). It fits easily in any space and it won’t make your already-small home office or study look even smaller or feel cramped. Use it to write, work, or read.
The worktop is 0.7 inches thick and made from environmental E1 standard particle wood. The surface is matte, anti-scratch, and waterproof. The metal frame provides stability to the table as it is 1.2 mm thick, which is thicker than normal table frames (0.8 mm).
- Adjustable leg pads so the writing table can be stable even on uneven flooring
- Easy to assemble; you merely need 10-15 minutes
- Tools for assembly are included
- The texture of the worktop is gritty; don’t place paper directly on it and write as the bumps will show
- Some reviewers complain that the packaging, and as a result, the desk was damaged but customer service was friendly and replaced the writing desks
This sturdy, compact writing desk in all white is the perfect addition to a small office!
4. Novogratz Computer Desk with Storage – Best Mid-Century White Writing Desk
In a white PVC laminated particleboard worktop that resembles marble, the Novogratz Computer Desk is a great mid-century style white writing desk. The hairpin legs of the desk are trendy. They are made from metal but powder-coated in gold, adding a look of classiness and elegance to your home office or living room space. The desk measures 30.4” x 40.5” x 21.65” (H x W x D).
No assembly is required! There are also two cubby holes in which you can store your stationery, notebooks, and paper. This makes it easy to sit down and write or work when the urge strikes. I can add up to 5 pounds of writing supplies in each cubby.
What I like about this writing desk (even more than the look and 2 cubbies in the front) is the long one in the back. It’s ideal to hide a power strip and there’s even a wire grommet that keeps my power cords organized and free from tangling.
- No assembly! (Just screw in the legs)
- Great mid-century addition to your space
- Storage space in the front with two cubbies
- Hidey space in the back for a power strip
- Some customers state the product arrived cracked at the back so they merely placed it against a wall to hide it while others requested a replacement
The storage is great with this writing desk, plus it looks really stylish in any room.
5. Tribesigns Double Computer Desk with Printer Shelf – Best White Writing Desk for Two!
In a bid to choose something different to add to the list, I decided on the Tribesigns Double Computer Desk with Printer Shelf, which measures 96.9” x 19.7” x 29.5” (L x W x D). If you share your office space with a partner or even a colleague, this writing desk setup is ideal.
It is a white double writing desk that is separated by a storage shelf in the middle. This middle space division reduces distraction while you and your partner can still share work resources like the printer, office files, and power sources.
The middle shelf is roomy with enough space to store your printer, stationery, files, and documents. There are three open storage shelves, and you can even add some greenery or flowers to beautify your workspace.
Constructed from a 0.59 inch thick MDF board that’s anti-scratch and waterproof, this double writing desk is durable, stable, and easy to clean. The adjustable foot pads ensure the desks remain stable even if your flooring is uneven.
- Ideal for a workspace a couple or colleagues share
- Durable, stable, and easy to clean
- Lots of storage space
- Easy to assemble with all parts and instructions included
- 18-months warranty
- Depending on how big your printer is, there may not be space for it on the storage shelf
Even if you don’t share your home office with another person, if you have the space, opt for this double desk as you’ll have more than enough space. Plus, it looks elegant in white.
6. Nathan James Leighton Two-Drawer Writing Glam Accents Brass, Home Office Computer Desk: Best Gold and White Writing Desk
With a white wooden surface that’s sleek, the Nathan James Leighton Two-Drawer Writing Glam Accents Brass, Home Office Computer Desk is supported by a gold-plated metal base. With an L-shaped design, there is plenty of room for your legs, so you can sit comfortably while you write away.
The writing desk has two drawers, which are excellent to store your writing (or artsy) supplies. To complete the look of elegance, each drawer pull is also gold-plated and features an elegant golden hoop. The writing desk measures 42” x 20 “ x 30” (L x W x H). The drawers have a depth of 4 inches.
- Floor protectors are included
- L-shaped desk provides plenty of room for snoozing pets and your legs
- Sturdy construction that can carry up to 220 pounds and 22 pounds per drawer
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Assembly is 30 minutes, which is long, considering that other writing desks assemble in 10-15 minutes; however, for elegance, this longer assembly time is worth it
- Some customers complained that the drawers aren’t easy to glide in and out
For a sophisticated white writing desk that adds elegance and style while you write or type away, you can’t go wrong with this L-shaped desk.
7. Nathan James Theo 2-Shelf Industrial Wall Mount Ladder Small Computer or Writing Desk – Best Wall-Mounted Writing Desk
Ideal for small spaces, the Nathan James Theo 2-Shelf Industrial Wall Mount Ladder Small Computer or Writing Desk is a writing desk that needs to be wall-mounted, which also adds to the sturdiness. There are also two fixed shelves, so you have a great storage solution on hand.
If you need more storage space, you can easily pair this white ladder writing desk with other Theo bookshelves. The desk measures 30” x 20” x 73” (L x W x H).
With a metal frame that you wall mount, this desk can be assembled in 30 minutes. It is also sturdy.
- Space-saving writing desk
- Floor protectors are included
- Sturdy writing desk with the metal frame and wall mount support
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Shelves are not coated, so if you aren’t careful, they scratch easily
- Edges of the desk are sharp, so beware if you have kids
For a stylish and functional ladder writing desk, this is a great option. Plus, there’s extra storage space too!
Buyers Guide: What Do You Need to Know Before Buying a White Writing Desk
Before you can just look at the top writing desk projects on Amazon and click “buy,” there are a few considerations to keep in mind so you choose the best white writing desk for you and your workspace. Here are the top considerations you should keep in mind:
No one wants to replace a writing desk every few months, so durability is a top consideration. Look for writing desks that are made from metal, steel, or solid wood as these are the most durable of materials.
There is no specific size for writing desks; however, they are smaller and narrower than average desks – whether they are used for study, writing, computer work, or arts and crafts. These desks are generally space-efficient, and while they are essentially made for small spaces like a compact office or study, you can place a writing desk in any area in your home. This gives you an area that’s just for you.
Most of the desks on my list measure about 31.5 inches in length, 17.5-20 inches in width, and approximately 30 inches in height. So keep the writing desk size in mind – not just in terms of what you need but also with regard to the space you have available.
Another note on the size. On most writing desks, you won’t be able to fit multiple monitors and crowd your workplace with papers and stationery, and more. The writing desk is ideal for a laptop or small screen and keyboard, a notepad and pen, and a lamp on the side.
There are a few styles you should keep in mind when choosing the best writing desk.
Firstly, there’s the color. I’ve only reviewed the best white writing desks. Some of the top options on my list are all-white, while others either have white table legs or a white worktop. Choose what works best for you and what fits in with your home decor.
Next, there are various styles in writing desks:
- An A-frame writing desk is contemporary and sleek. These are ideal for small rooms or writing desk areas.
- The bench desk is usually placed up against a wall, and these writing desks are practical and strong.
- For a classic option, a cantilever writing desk has table legs and a worktop.
Something else to keep in mind is storage space. If you have a small study, chances are you don’t have space for a cabinet or other workplace storage options.
While most writing desks are simply a desk, there are options on the market that come with storage. These desks can either have 2-3 slimline drawers underneath the worktop or there are 2-3 cubby holes for storage.
Some writing desks come with hooks on which you can hang your work bag or headphones, and some also have a hanging storage bag container in which you can place books, files, and stationery.
Our Criteria for Choosing the Best White Writing Desks
I made sure to choose only the best of the best white writing desks. I did this by looking at a few factors:
While writing desks are mostly used for what the name implies – that is, writing – I also looked at how much space the worktop has and other functionalities of the desk. Most of the options allow you to comfortably work on a laptop and have enough space for a desk lamp and even pen and paper. Alternatively, you can place a small monitor on the worktop with ample space for your keyboard and mouse or trackpad.
I also looked at storage as part of this consideration. Having storage space ensures your work area stays neat and this means your thoughts stay more organized, meaning you are more productive. There are some options on my top white writing desk list that are only the writing desk, but there are others too that have storage space in the form of drawers, cubby holes hooks, hanging storage bags, and more.
I also looked at the styles of the writing desks and opted for a variety so you can choose what fits best with your decor. Some writing desks are pure white, which makes it easy to fit these into a room. Others have a white worktop and gold-plated desk legs or wooden ones or black metal ones.
I also looked at the price tag for all the writing desks. I made sure to choose a variety to fit most budgets.
With each product, I added a pricing scale:
- $ for products that cost between $0-$49
- $$ for products that cost between $50-99
- $$$ for products that cost between $100-200
- $$$ for products that cost more than $200
I also considered the customer reviews and ratings for each white writing desk. I made sure to only choose desks with a 4+ star rating and more than 500 reviews. The majority of the reviews were positive, indicating that it is very likely that you’ll be happy with whichever writing desk you choose to buy from my list.
FAQs About White Writing Desks
Answer: Symbolizing purity, cleanliness, simplicity, and freshness, a white writing desk is classic. It can fit in with most decor schemes or it can be used as an accent piece that draws your eye to where the desk is situated.
White writing desks don’t have to be boring and all white, either. There are options with a white worktop and wooden legs, a glass worktop with white legs, and various combinations.
Answer: Writing desks are also commonly referred to as a secretary desk, the secretaire, or escritoire. The basic design is just a desk with a flat working surface; however, other designs have 2-3 drawers.
Answer: The main difference between a writing desk and a computer desk is that a writing desk is smaller than a computer desk. A writing desk has a simple worktop and may come with drawers. Computer desks are larger, with a bigger worktop space depth so most computers can comfortably fit on the surface.
Answer: Not all writing desks can accommodate a computer. However, this also depends on the side of your computer. You should be able to comfortably place your laptop on the writing desk. Whether or not there is space for another monitor or a full desktop PC depends on the width of the worktop surface.
Answer: Writing desks are minimalistic in design and they don’t take up a lot of space. This makes them ideal if you have a small office or just need a corner in your home to set up for workspace.
Choosing the best writing desk for you means looking at your floor space, choosing a design, style, and color that works for you and fits in with your decor, and deciding if you need a writing desk that is plain or has drawers or extra storage space.
The Best White Writing Desk Verdict
Writing desks have always been popular, and it is easy to see why that’s the case. If you are low on space, these economical desks don’t take up a lot of space, meaning you can place the writing desk in a compact room without it feeling overwhelming and too packed.
Furthermore, these writing desks are so versatile that you can easily place one in your bedroom to do some journaling before bed or in the living room to write your to-do lists.
Choosing the best white writing desk isn’t easy. My top choice is the CubiCubi Computer Desk Study Writing Table for Home Office. With the iron hook and hanging storage bag, you get a 32” wide writing desk and storage space. I like that I can hang my laptop bag on the hook so it’s not lying around on the floor. Moreover, this white writing desk is durable, sturdy, and easy to assemble.