Most people would watch Mad Men to check in on what’s happening to Don Draper or to get a dose of one-liners from Roger Sterling.
We watched the TV show for the mid-century office furniture that adorned the Sterling Cooper advertising agency. We’d see mid-century office furniture as the shots go from one office to another or as the show advances in its timeline.
More than just lending an air of authenticity to the show, these office furniture pieces are stunning in their own right. And since many of us are getting into that work-from-home setup, maybe you should consider getting your workspace done up, Mad Men-style.
The Best Mid Century Office Chair Options
We’re excited to show you our recommendations, and what makes them the best mid century office chair ideas there are. From having that Mad Men feel to just going retro, you will love how each of these chairs can help you stay comfortable while working.
Table of Contents
How We Chose Mid-Century Office Chairs
First off, we chose only the best-looking mid-century office chairs that can help give your office a more retro look. But more than just how it looks, we also considered that you will be sitting on these chairs for hours. So comfort is also a top consideration.
To ensure comfort, we made sure that our choices have the following features:
- Adjustable backrests
- Caster wheels
- Easy controls
- Good lumbar support
- Height adjustable
- Spacious seat
We all have different desks that have a variety of heights. What’s more, we’re all built differently.
A height-adjustable office chair ensures that you can be seated so that your thighs are horizontal and both of your feet are comfortably flat on the floor.
And if you’re mostly using a laptop or desktop computer for work, you should be able to look directly at the monitor while keeping your hands steady and straight from your elbow.
Office chairs should offer good lumbar support, especially if you’re going to sit in them for most of the workday. The back of your chair should have enough support so that your lower back is arched and you don’t slump easily.
When choosing an office chair, it’s not enough to just be happy with the way it looks. You should also check if it has sufficient width and depth for you to be able to sit in it. Taller people should get a deeper seat and vice versa.
Armrests help give you a more comfortable office chair as you can put your elbow or arms on it. Being able to do that means that you can also rest your shoulders and neck.
Get office chairs with adjustable armrests that ensure you can easily rest your arms or elbow without having to slouch.
Being able to move your backrest backward or forward can help you do different tasks in comfort. As such, you should also choose one that has a locking mechanism so your backrest doesn’t suddenly move backward.
Adjustable backrests can also allow you to cozy up in your chair when you’re taking a break.
Your office chair should be padded heavily if you’re going to sit on it for a long time. But if you’re only using your chair for a few hours a day, such as when you’re attending Zoom meetings, you can get away with one that has little or no padding at all.
If you do choose one with padding, make sure that the material is breathable. Fabric and other similar materials can help your body breathe while you’re sitting.
Choose firm padding, but don’t fall into the trap of getting a chair that’s too hard as this can be a pain after a few hours. Conversely, don’t buy a chair that has a cushion that’s too soft because these won’t be able to support your weight and your back for a long time.
Swivel and Casters
Swivel chairs allow you to multitask more easily and even talk to other people without having to get up from your seat. Rotating your chair to reach different areas in your workstation will help you maximize your efficiency.
Caster wheels, on the other hand, can help you be more mobile. It also makes it easy to move your chair from your workspace to another area.
Controls and Locks
If you’re getting an adjustable chair, make sure that the controls are easy to operate and can be reached even when you’re seated. You should have that lever that allows you to swivel, go higher or tilt your backrest without having to get off the chair.
Additionally, you should make sure that these controls have locks so that you don’t have to readjust very often.
Our recommendations will not all have these features. There are tradeoffs. For one, having a high-back office chair will mean that it will take up more space to accommodate the added weight of the backrest. But these chairs are going to be the most comfortable to sit in for a long period.
Others might need to do away with the armrest. This is especially true if they have very small desks, and the armrest might just get in the way of being able to push the chair into their desks at the end of the day.
As such, we give you options depending on what the best mid-century office chair is for you. Now that we have all that out of the way, here are our recommendations:
Olela Swivel Office Chair Low-Back Computer Task Chair
- Modern Office Task Chair: Unique cleverly design, beautiful and novel shape, perfectly match with your office, living room, meeting room and...
- Stable and Durable: The base and the overall frame are made of metal material, providing you with a durable and long-lasting use. All the...
- Height Adjustbale Rolling Desk Chair: Customize your position with the adjustable height mechanism, and find the perfect vantage point for...
The Olela Swivel Office Chair Low-Back Computer Task Chair comes in six colors:
No matter what color you choose, you’d get that old-school design. With a metal base and body, this is one durable chair.
The cushion is covered by a microfiber fabric. This material is a breeze to clean and can resist scratches. What’s more, the adjustable-height can help you be more comfortable when using the chair.
Overall, this chair measures 32.2 to 36.2 inches (81.8 to 91.9 centimeters) high, 24.8 inches (63 centimeters) wide, and 20.8 inches (52.8 centimeters) deep. The seat is 16.1 by 16.9 by 14.5 inches (40.9 by 42.9 by 36.8 centimeters).
- Great looking chair with top-notch materials
- Wooden armrest and metal frame
- Microfiber cushions
- The maximum weight capacity is only 250 pounds (113.4 kilograms).
Glitzhome Home High-Back Office Chair Leather Adjustable Swivel Desk Chair with Arms
- This modern adjustable swivel office chair is perfect for a home office with the cream, stain resistant upholstered seat and back cushions,...
- Provide your comfort with this home office chair, with smooth-rolling casters, 360 degree swivel and seat height adjustment, great for a...
- Easy to assembling, perfect as a office chair. Has a adjustable butterfly mechanism.
The Glitzhome Home High-Back Office Chair is one of the best professional-looking chairs that has a 1950s air to it. Overall dimensions for this high-back chair are 28.15 by 27.36 inches (71.5 by 69.5 centimeters). The height is adjustable from 43.7 to 47.64 inches (111 to 121 centimeters).
But how spacious is the seat itself? It measures 17.32 by 15.52 inches (44 by 44.5 centimeters). From the floor, you are elevated by 19.69 to 23.62 inches (50 to 60 centimeters).
The arm height ranges from 25.2 to 29.13 inches (64 to 74 centimeters. And lastly, the base has a diameter of 28.9 inches (70.68 centimeters).
More than the numbers, you’d love just how comfortable this chair is. You get to enjoy a thickly padded headrest, soft armrest and seat, and an adjustable backrest.
The adjustable backrest on this chair can be locked at any angle between 87 to 106 degrees. This chair is made with high-quality leatherette and has a chrome base. It can accommodate anyone weighing 275 pounds (125 kilograms) or less.
There are a variety of colors that you can choose from too:
- Great support and comfortable to sit in
- Elegant and stylish
- Value for your money
- Some users say that they got a chair where there is a tear in the leatherette.
Corvus Mid-Century Wood and Metal Adjustable Office Chair
- Chrome-finished metal base with 5 casters
- Bent plywood seat and back
- Bonded leather upholstery
The Corvus Mid-Century Wood and Metal Adjustable Office Chair allow you to swivel the full 360 degrees while giving you the freedom to move around the room with five caster wheels. This chair has that mid-century charm with its walnut-finished plywood body and leather upholstery.
The chrome-finished base has five caster wheels for unparalleled mobility. For the leather upholstery, you can choose between black or beige.
This chair has an adjustable height from 29.1 to 33 inches (73.9 to 83.8 centimeters). It has overall dimensions of 22.4 by 22.4 inches (56.9 by 56.9 centimeters).
Meanwhile, the seat is 15.7 by 16.9 inches (39.9 by 42.9 centimeters), with heights of 17.3 to 21.2 inches (43.9 to 53.8 centimeters).
- Provides excellent support
- Easy to assemble with an optional professional assembly
- Doesn’t take up too much space
- Mid-back design may not be good if you stay at your desk all day.
Art Leon Mid-Century Modern Swivel Accent Chair
- New upgraded swivel accent chair with arms, can spin it 360°.
- Easy installation.
- Overall Dimension: 22.83"W x 23.62 "D x 33.46"H. Roomy depth and wide seat optimize comfort. Great for your living room, dining room,...
The Art Leon Mid-Century Modern Swivel Accent Chair is perfect for those who stay in one place while working. This piece doesn’t have a caster wheel but instead has beech wood legs that make it look even more vintage.
You will love the hand-sewn tufted upholstery that is very soft but can ward off any signs of wear. The seat can swivel 360 degrees, making it easier for you to get in or out of your work area.
Overall dimensions for this chair are 22.83 by 23.62 by 33.46 inches (58 by 60 by 85 centimeters). If you like a chair with a wider seat, this one is perfect for you.
If you find yourself wanting to have that nook feeling while working, consider getting this as your office chair. You can sit cross-legged or curl up in this one while reading your documents.
What’s more, the Art Leon Mid-Century Modern Swivel Accent Chair comes in a variety of colors, including:
- Royal blue
- Olive green
- Dark gray
- Cardinal red
This chair can accommodate anyone weighing not more than 330 pounds (150 kilograms).
- Excellent mid-century look with a wide assortment of colors
- Top-notch materials such as the hand-sewn cushion and the beech wood legs
- Great for hardwood floors
- Spacious seat
- Some users complained about a horrible smell from new chairs
- Customer service can be better
OSP Designs Deluxe Armless Wood Bankers Desk Chair
- Pneumatic Seat Height Adjustment
- Locking Tilt Control with Adjustable Tilt Tension
- Wood Covered Steel Base with Dual Wheel Carpet Casters
The OSP Designs Deluxe Armless Wood Bankers Desk Chair is made with wood from fruit trees. The height is adjustable, and the back can be tilted.
The steel base is covered with wood, too, making it look like an all wooden affair. You get dual-wheel casters that help you move around your workspace with ease.
What’s more, this chair swivels a full 360 degrees. The company also sells two other versions: one with arms and one with a padded seat and arms.
- Easy to assemble
- Beautiful and rustic office chair
- Recommended weight capacity is only 200 pounds (90.7 kilograms)
- If you’re not sitting all the way back and you move on the caster wheels, you might tip over.
- The lack of cushion might mean it will be uncomfortable to sit on this chair for a long time.
Vinsetto Modern Mid-Back Tufted Velvet Fabric Home Office Desk Chair with Arms
- CHIC UPHOLSTERY FABRIC: The upholstered fabric of this office chair offers a stylish and modern look that will effortlessly blend with any...
- ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: You can use the lever to adjust the height of this computer chair from 35.25" to 38.25" to match your desk and sitting...
- ADDED MOBILITY: This desk chair has 360-degree swivel wheels and a seat, while the recline function allows you to stretch out your back...
The Vinsetto Modern Mid-Back Tufted Velvet Fabric Home Office Desk Chair with Arms has a tufted fabric-covered cushion that makes it look stylish and elegant at the same time. It has pneumatic controls that let you adjust your seat according to your desk height.
This chair swivels all around and has rolling casters that make it easier for you to move around. Dimensions of this chair:
- Overall width and depth: 26 by 27.25 inches (66 by 69.2 centimeters)
- Overall height: 35.25 to 38.25 inches (89.5 to 97.2 centimeters)
- Seat width and depth: 19.75 by 19.75 inches (50.2 by 50.2 centimeters)
- Seat height: 16.5 to 19.75 inches (41.9 to 50.2 centimeters)
- Armrest height: 9.75 inches (24.8 centimeters)
- Elegant looking and comfortable
- Provides good support for your back
- Assembly can be a pain.
Tina’s Home Snowflake Chenille Task Chair with Vintage Wood Base for Home Office
The Tina’s Home Snowflake Chenille Task Chair with Vintage Wood Base for Home Office comes in either Dalia-pink or Dalia-grass colors. The snowflake pattern makes it stand out from other similar office chairs.
With a swivel base and vintage all-direction wheels, you can easily move around and about while sitting on the chair. The wooden base complements the vintage looks of this chair.
The chair is armless, making it easier for you to push into your desk at the end of the workday. You will also love the padded seats and backs, which means you’d be very comfortable in this chair.
Overall dimensions for the chair are 24 by 21.5 inches (61 by 54.6 centimeters) with an adjustable height from 32 to 37 inches (81.3 to 94 centimeters). Seat height is also adjustable from 16.5 to 19.5 inches (41.9 to 49.5 centimeters).
- Great looking chair
- It might not be good for all-day use.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Should You Buy a High-Back or a Mid-Back Office Chair?
Answer: A high-back chair has a headrest to support your head and neck, while a mid-back chair doesn’t have that, and a low-back chair has a backrest that’s even lower than a mid-back. But the best chair for you depends on how your work.
A mid-back office chair is excellent if you:
- Have a small workspace or flexible workstation
- Need to be able to move around
- Want to save money
Choose a high-back chair if you:
- Need more support for your neck and head
- Work on your desk for long hours
- Don’t want to slouch
- Have a bigger work area
Question: What Are Mid-Century Pieces?
Answer: It’s going to be very difficult to agree on what mid-century really means. By its name, mid-century will encompass graphic design, furniture, design ideas, and architecture that was very prevalent and popular in the middle of the 20th century.
But even how long that period can be up for debate. Some people say that mid-century refers to anything from 1933 to 1965. Others would narrow it down to include only 1947 to 1957.
Question: Are There Mid-Century Standing Desks?
Answer: If you’re not into sitting for long periods, you might want to invest in a standing desk. However, the mid-century options are limited. Because of how these electric standing desks are powered with motors, they look more modern than mid-century.
Design with Flair with These Mid-Century Office Chair Ideas
If you’re mostly doing computer-related tasks and you’re not sitting on your desk for too long, you can get them:
- Olela Swivel Office Chair Low-Back Computer Task Chair
- Corvus Mid-Century Wood and Metal Adjustable Office Chair
- Art Leon Mid-Century Modern Swivel Accent Chair
The Glitzhome Home High-Back Office Chair Leather Adjustable Swivel Desk Chair with Arms and the Vinsetto Modern Mid-Back Tufted Velvet Fabric Home Office Desk Chair with Arms is great for those who spend more time sitting down at their desks.
Small space? The OSP Designs Deluxe Armless Wood Bankers Desk Chair would be just perfect.
These office chairs will be excellent, comfortable to sit in, and give you a more productive time with your office tasks. The fact that they look great only adds to their allure.