Do you have ample space for a cutting board? Or is your kitchen small, but you don’t (or maybe can’t) remodel it?
Even if your kitchen isn’t small, an over-the-sink cutting board is a must-have. When catering for a large group, this innovative kitchen gadget makes your life easier by letting you maximize the workspace in your kitchen.
No more worries about planning the sequence in which you use your kitchen space; you can now use the cutting board over your sink as a countertop extension to make more space.
If you’re like me, making a purchasing choice just off what I can see on the shelf in my local Home Depot or on Amazon isn’t enough. I turn to what others have said and look for a detailed buying guide so I can make the right decision the first time around. Sounds right?
Then you’re in the right place. I’ve got a detailed guide on what you need to keep in mind when buying sink cover cutting boards. Plus, I’ve reviewed the best of the best, so when you see a cutting board that meets your needs, you know what to do (click buy).
If you’re a newbie, no sweat. I cover what a sink cutting board is and the benefits of owning one.
Spoiler Alert! The Top Sink Cover Cutting Board
If you’re in a hurry, the best over sink cutting board is the QiMH Collapsible Cutting Board with Colander. It’s a 3-in-1 product as you have a cutting board and a colander, and the colander can also be used as a storage basket for your fresh produce.
The cutting board fully expands into the colander/basket, and then it collapses for the cutting board use and for easy storage, which saves space.
What is a Sink Cover Cutting Board?
An essential kitchen accessory, a sink cover cutting board, also called an over-the-sink cutting board or over sink cutting board, is exactly what its name implies. It is a cutting board that fits over your sink, so you can use this additional space to prep your food.
Benefits of a Sink Cover Cutting Board?
The benefits, and why you need to own a sink cutting board, are:
- Helps you maximize the workspace in your kitchen when you don’t have more counter space available or just need an extra surface to work on
- Ideal for small kitchens
- Comes with cool features, like a collapsible colander for easy straining of your produce, an extension to fit any kitchen sink, indentations to ensure there are no liquid spills, and holes for scrap removal
- Can use the cutting board as a regular cutting board too
- Eliminates clutter in your kitchen
- Makes cleaning up easier as the cutting board is right by your sink
Buyers Guide: What Do You Need to Know Before Buying a Sink Cover Cutting Board
Before you invest in a sink cover cutting board, there are a few aspects to keep in mind:
The size of the cutting board matters a lot when it needs to fit over your sink. Not all sink sizes are the same, so measure your sink and check the measurements on the cutting board to ensure it’s a match.
Lots of sink cover cutting boards are designed to fit on sinks that are standard-sized, but never assume.
Moreover, some cutting boards have an extension, so these fit nearly any sink and could be a safe choice if you aren’t 100% sure.
Whether your cutting board is over the sink or regular, Wooden cutting boards generally win in this category as they just look expensive and add class to any kitchen. Plastic sink cover boards can also be aesthetically pleasing, especially with the color options and designs you get today.
Most over-the-sink cutting boards are made from either wood or plastic. Plastic is dishwasher safe, but it isn’t the most hygienic option if there are lots of cuts and abrasions made into the board from a lot of use.
Wood, on the other hand, may be more expensive, but it looks great, is a sustainable source (so you’re doing your part to help protect the environment), and it’s kind on your knives.
In fact, wooden cutting boards are much more resilient to knives than plastic ones. However, you can’t place a wooden cutting board in the dishwasher, so this may not appeal to you.
Sanitation and Cleaning
Hardwood cutting boards are the most sanitary. So if antibacterial characteristics are your main priority, then this is the kind of cutting board you should go for.
While there are maintenance concerns with wooden cutting boards, cleaning is relatively easy. Simply wash it with mild dishwashing soap and quickly dunk or rinse the board, taking care to not thoroughly soak it in water.
Plastic is good, as long as the board is new. If it has lots of cuts, then it is nearly impossible to fully sanitize the surface. Investing in a new board is then best. As for cleaning, most plastic cutting boards are dishwasher safe; alternatively, you can hand wash and scrub them.
Cutting boards made from glass are the worst for your knives, followed by plastic and bamboo. Hardwood is the kindest for your knives to ensure the blades stay sharper for longer.
Our Criteria for Choosing the Best Sink Cover Cutting Boards
I made sure to only choose the best of the best sink cover cutting boards. I based my decisions on the following aspects:
A cutting board (even one that fits over your sink) doesn’t just have to be a cutting board. Some of the options I chose also include a collapsible colander and an extension to fit any sink.
The over sink cutting boards I chose come in a variety of styles to fit any kitchen and decor. There are stylish wooden cutting boards that fit over your sink and cute and funky plastic ones too.
With regard to price, I made sure the products were affordable to fit most budgets. There are one or two more expensive options on the list, but taking into account what you get, these products are worth their price tag.
I added a pricing scale for each product (these are the current prices at the time of writing and I didn’t factor in any discounts):
- $ > Under $20
- $$ > Between $21 and $30
- $$$ > Between $31 and $40
- $$$$ > $41+
All of the products on my list have lots and lots of customer reviews, the majority of which are positive. This indicates that the customers are happy with their purchases, and you would most likely be too.
All of the best sink cover cutting boards products are also rated 4+ out of 5 stars.
The 10 Best Sink Cover Cutting Boards
Here are the 10 best over-the-sink cutting boards; your choice should be relatively easy now that you know what to watch out for:
QiMH Collapsible Cutting Board with Colander
The QiMH Collapsible Cutting Board with Colander – Foldable Multi-function Kitchen Plastic Silicone Dish Tub – Washing and Draining Veggies Fruits Food Grade Sink Storage Basket is a rectangular cutting board in white and gray, and you can hang the cutting board when it’s not in use.
You also get a cutting knife, and the board has a bonus knife slot in which you can store the knife. This makes it ideal if you use this sink cover board while you travel.
The cutting board measures 16.7” x 12.2” x 1.18” (L x W x H), and when expanded into the colander form, it is 5.7” deep.
The colander/cutting board features non-slip stands, so you can cut with ease without worrying about the board slipping on smooth surfaces (when you don’t use it over the sink). The colander also has its own draining plug.
To use the cutting board over your sink, simply let both “handles” rest on the sides of your sink.
- 3-in-1 function: cutting board, colander to wash produce, or a storage basket for produce in your fridge
- Save space since the cutting board easily expands and collapses (or flattens)
- Made from environmentally friendly material that is food-grade and BPA-free
- Ideal for home, outdoor, and RV sinks, and kitchens
- Some reviewers wish the draining plug was in the center of the washbasin/colander to help with better draining
- It won’t fit all sinks, so check your sink’s measurement
Camco Sink Mate Cutting Board
The Camco Sink Mate Cutting Board – Designed For RV, Camper, and Trailer Kitchen Sinks creates more space in your kitchen as you can cut your meat, fruits, and veggies over the sink. This product, made from polyethylene, is available in black, white, and almond.
There is a juice groove and a cut corner for scraps, so you can easily scrape these into the kitchen sink (or plastic bag) for easy cleaning up.
This sink cover cutting board measures 12.5” x 14.5” x 1” (L x W x H). The manufacturer states that this sink mate cutting board fits on RV sinks, and the adjustable, non-skid feet underneath the cutting board adapt to your sink size.
- Adjustable feet ensure the sink cover cutting board fits most RV sinks
- Has a juice groove
- Has a cut corner so you can get rid of fruit or veggie scraps as you chop, slice, and dice
- Available in three colors
- It can also fit over a 3-burner stove
- Don’t over-tighten the feet, as this can lead to cracking
- Doesn’t fit all RV sinks (check the measurements of the product vs. your sink)
- A pricey option compared to other similar products
Lipper International Bamboo Wood Over-The-Sink/Stove Kitchen Cutting and Serving Board
The Lipper International Bamboo Wood Over-The-Sink/Stove Kitchen Cutting and Serving Board measures 11.5” x 20.5” x 2” (L x W x H) and is made from natural bamboo. The product weighs in at nearly 5 ounces.
With the side legs or bottom edges, the Lipper cutting board easily fits over most sinks and stoves. Plus, it doubles as an elegant serving board.
There are also grooves in the board edges to channel juices from meat, veggies, and fruit away from the cutting surface.
To clean the board, simply hand wash with cool water and mild soap. Don’t soak or dunk the board in water for long periods, so it gets fully wet. Wipe dry, and then let it air dry. Occasionally treat the cutting board with mineral oil to increase the longevity and appearance of your kitchen gadget.
- Doubles as a cutting board and serving tray
- Fits over sinks and stovetops
- Has a juice groove
- Made from a sustainable resource (bamboo)
- Kind on your knife blades
- Looks elegant
- Doesn’t fit over all sinks
- With a lot of use, the side legs can loosen a bit; using wood glue is an easy fix
Dexas Over the Sink Strainer Cutting Board
In black (or dark gray) and white or red and white, the rectangular Dexas Over the Sink Strainer cutting board measures 11.5” x 20” x 0.38” (L x W x H). There is also a 2 ½ quart strainer that you can expand or collapse; this makes it easy to store the sink cover cutting board.
There are also non-slip rubber edges that keep the polyethylene board securely in place while the raised edges direct juices away from your produce toward the center of the board or the colander. The colander is fully removable, so you can also use this as a basket of sorts for your fruits and veggies.
Even with the colander that’s “built-in” in the cutting board, you have 10-12 inches of cutting and chopping surface.
- Board is durable and non-porous
- Removable colander that can be expanded or collapsed
- Features non-slip rubber edges
- Dishwasher safe
- Available in 2 color options
- After removing the colander a lot, it seems that it doesn’t fit as snugly as when the cutting board is newer
Over the Sink Cutting Board with Collapsible Colander and Extra Long Extension
The Over the Sink Cutting Board with Collapsible Colander and Extra Long Extension by Good Cooking comes in a red and white color combo. It measures 19.5” x 11” x 1” (L x W x H). The rectangular board extends so it fits most kitchen sinks.
The Good Cooking sink cover cutting board is made from food-grade polypropylene and silicone, and it is phthalate and BPA-free. It’s easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
The colander, made from silicone and rimmed by stainless steel, is collapsible, making it easy to store the cutting board when not in use. It is also fully removable, so you can rinse your fruits and veggies with ease.
- Silicone ends, so the board is less prone to slipping
- Extension so it fits over most sinks (26”)
- Collapsible and removable colander
- Made from food-grade materials that are BPA and phthalate-free
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean
- Only available in one color option
- Colander may not be fitted well and falls out
Collapsible Chop and Strain Cutting Board
In a white and gray combo, the Collapsible Chop and Strain Cutting Board, Mixing Bowl, Colander, Ice Bucket, Fruit and Vegetable Container Basket, Strainer with Draining Plug Multifunctional Kitchen Gadget for Indoor and Outdoor features ergonomic handles and a built-in drain and holes to drain excess water.
Another 3-in-1 option, this product is a chopping board, which then expands into a fruit basket, and then when fully expanded, it is a washing bowl.
The product, when collapsed, measures 15.7” x 11.8” x 1.18” (L x W x H), and when fully expanded, the depth measures 5.31”. It is made from food-grade PP and TPR material (silica and plastic) and heavy-duty silicone. It is strong, easy to clean, as well as odor, deform, stain-resistant.
- Multi-functional as a chopping board, fruit basket, and washing bowl
- Save spacing and easy to store when fully collapsed
- Widened non-slip handle
- Drain and corners are heightened, acting as an anti-slip mat
- Dishwasher safe
- Reviewers wish there was an extra draining port, so they don’t have to tip the colander to fully drain the water
- Only available in one color option
Cutting Board with Wire Colander – 2-in-1 Adjustable Wooden Chopping Board for Over the Sink with Stainless Steel Strainer
The Cutting Board with Wire Colander- 2 in 1 Adjustable Wooden Chopping Board for Over the Sink with Stainless Steel Strainer by Chef Buddy is a rectangular over-the-sink cutting board that measures 13.2” x 11.5” x 0.75” (L x W x H). It is extendable up to 24.75”, so you can adjust the handles to fit over most kitchen sinks.
Made from solid wood, the cutting board is kind to your knives. The removable wire strainer is made from stainless steel, and it is durable and fit for long-term use.
The product is multi-functional. You get a cutting board with a built-in strainer that looks like a kind of mesh, so as you work on this over-the-sink board and rinse your veggies and fruits, the water drains right through into your sink.
- Made from solid wood, so it’s hygienic and kind to your knives
- Fits over most sinks with the handles that expand
- Multi-functional with the built-in strainer
- The strainer is removable and made from stainless steel, so it’s durable
- Before you start using this cutting board, treat it with mineral soil to seal the wood
- Some reviewers state the cutting board is smaller than expected
Kraus KCB-101BB Kore Cutting Board
The Kraus KCB-101BB Kore Cutting Board comes in 17 options. You get an over-the-sink cutting board in a few sizes and various other options with bowls included.
The one option – the one with the sink cover cutting board – is made from 100% organic bamboo that’s durable and sustainable. It features a non-porous surface that is stain and odor-resistant.
The rectangular cutting board measures 17” x 12” x 0.75” (L x W x H), so when you place it over your sink, you can turn this space into another countertop on which to work. The board is designed to be non-slip so that you can work with ease.
- Made from natural bamboo that’s durable and kind on your knife blades
- Has juice grooves to help prevent spills and catch produce fluids
- Lots of cutting boards and options are available
- 1-year warranty
- Designed to work with KRAUS Workstation Sinks, so it may not fit your sink, but check the dimensions
- Regularly coat the board with mineral oil to increase its lifespan
Prepworks by Progressive Thinstore Over-the-Sink Prep Station
Available in a white and green color combination, the Prepworks by Progressive Thinstore Over-the-Sink Prep Station makes it easy for you to rinse, chop, and prep your meals for the week as this cutting board easily fits over your sink.
With the 5.5” extendable arm that’s made from stainless steel, the cutting board fits over most sinks. The cutting board, when not extended, measures 10.5” x 10” (L x W). When fully extended, the board covers substantially more sink space.
A 3-cup colander is built-in, but you can easily remove it too for cleaning or rinsing purposes. It expands into three sizes and fully collapses, making it easy for you to store the cutting board when you aren’t using it.
- Extendable arm, so the cutting board can fit over most sinks
- Removable colander that expands into 3 sizes and fully collapses
- Easy to store
- Dishwasher safe
- The white cutting board becomes discolored when you chop and slice veggies, like red peppers and sweet potatoes, and similar fruits
- Some reviewers wish the board extends on both sides and not just on the one
Zenprep Extra Large Bamboo Over the Sink Chopping Board With Collapsible Strainers
Zenprep Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board With Containers (Set Of 9) – Over The Sink Chopping Board With Collapsible Strainers is made from bamboo, so the cutting board is durable as well as odor-resistant. It will also be kind on your knife blades. The rectangular board features round corners, a container hole, and juice grooves.
The cutting board comes with a set of 6 containers with 2 lids in 3 color options that is freezer safe. There are orange, pink, and gray containers and lids in this set. The containers are stackable and collapsible, as well as dishwasher safe.
You get 3 silicone strainers, 1 of which is large and 2 of which are small. There are also 3 containers, 1 large and 2 small. The lids are for the 2 small containers.
The cutting board measures 15” x 20” x 0.5” (L x W x H). Easily clean the cutting board – wash it with warm water and a mild detergent. Let it air dry. You can wash the containers and strainers in your dishwashing machine.
- A value-add: get everything you need to wash, cut, clean, strain, and store your produce
- Smart cutting station: cut and slice, then slide your fruit, veggies, or meat straight into the strainer or container
- Has a juice groove
- 2-in-1: cutting board can be used as a serving tray too
- Made from bamboo
- Containers are dishwasher safe (not the bamboo cutting board)
- 1-year warranty
- A pricier option, but value for money with everything that’s included to make meal prep easy
- It May not fit all kitchen sinks, but if you have countertop space, this is a great cutting board (with all the extras)
- Silicone containers may collapse if not completely filled when you try to put on the lids
Bonus: Cuisinart CTG-00-CBC Cutting Board with Colander
The Cuisinart CTG-00-CBC Cutting Board with Colander is an Amazon’s Choice Product, so it’s a popular product that customers enjoy using. The rectangular cutting board measures 11.5” x 20” x 1.25” (L x W x H) and has a removable and collapsible 2.5 quarts rectangular colander.
The sink cover cutting board features non-slip edges so you can work without worrying about the board moving.
- Easy to store with the collapsible colander
- Remove the colander for washing
- Non-slip edges
- Dishwasher safe
- Some customers complain that the board feels a bit too thin; however, others say its quality and sturdy.
- It May not fit all sink sizes
Answer: The best material for a cutting board is wood. It is kind on your knives, which means they stay sharper for longer, and the board won’t scar as easily as a plastic or bamboo cutting board.
Increase the longevity of your wooden cutting board by regularly oiling it with food-grade mineral oil, and don’t ever place it in the dishwater or dunk it in water for long.
Bamboo is a good choice too. Ensure your bamboo cutting board is made with formaldehyde-free glue. The con about bamboo is that the tiny grooves may catch your knife, resulting in a knifing action that isn’t 100% smooth.
Plastic is dishwasher safe, but if a plastic cutting board is quite scratched, it is best to get a new one as you can’t disinfect it 100%. Plus, these cutting boards aren’t kind on your knives. Glass is the worst kind of cutting board if you care about your knife blades.
Answer: Plastic cutting boards may be the easiest to keep clean as you can put these boards in the dishwasher, and they require no extra maintenance. However, glass cutting boards need a simple wash, and then they are clean too.
Wooden boards are also fairly easy to clean – hand wash them, but you do need to take care not to submerge them in water for too long. Wooden cutting boards also need extra care and maintenance.
Answer: A wooden cutting board, like those made from bamboo or maple, is the best to use if you want extra protection against bacteria. Hardwood cutting boards are fine-grained, so bacteria gets trapped and then killed as the board air dies after you’ve hand-washed it.
Answer: The best way to care for your cutting board to keep it in tip-top condition is to hand wash your board. If it is made from plastic or glass, you can wash and dry it like you would your other dishes.
However, if the cutting board is made from wood, then use a mild liquid soap to wash it. Once washed, wipe it dry and then let it air dry until it is completely dry. With a wooden cutting board, take care not to soak the board. If submerged in water, you should dunk the board quickly.
The Best Sink Cover Cutting Board Verdict
Add more counter space to your kitchen by choosing a sink cover cutting board. This gives you extra workspace, plus you can chop, dice, and slice away over your kitchen sink, which usually lessens the mess as well.
Many of the top over-the-sink cutting boards these days come with extras, like an extendable arm or handles, which allows the cutting board to fit over more kitchen sinks.
There are also built-in and removable colanders or strainers, so you can wash your veggies and fruits, slice and dice them, and then slide your produce directly into a container or the strainer if needed.
My top choice for the best sink cover cutting board is the QiMH Collapsible Cutting Board with Colander. In a white and gray color combination, this board is easy to store – you can hang it in your kitchen or slide it into a drawer or cabinet.
You get a cutting knife that you can store with the board, saving you time when you need to prep some fruit or veggies now. The cutting board also fully expands into a colander, so washing or rinsing your produce is easy.
Looking for more interesting readings? Check out: