Have you ever dreamed of having a classroom atmosphere in your own home? Yeah, me either. Nevertheless, when you are working at home or teaching your children new things, a magnetic whiteboard can come in quite handy.
Whiteboards are one of those home office items you never knew you were missing until you get one. It makes your life a lot easier. You can keep track of your work tasks, scribble your to-do list on them or do some brainstorming.
I am all about making your work-at-home experience a lot more easy, comfortable, and productive. No matter if you are an employee or a business owner who is operating from the comfort of his or her home, I want you to keep that comfort while getting the most out of the hours you are spending working. Whiteboards are a great productivity boost, in my opinion, but not all of them are made equal.
To make this guide, I have gone over probably a hundred magnetic whiteboards. The ones I have picked out are the best of the best. No matter which one of the boards you are going to get from this guide, it is going to be a quality board for the budget that you have.
I am going to start off with an explanation of how I rank these boards and my criteria for picking a board that is not just good but great. Then I am going to give you an overview of the four boards I picked out of the hundreds that are on the market.
I will then pick two winners: the best overall magnetic whiteboard and the best for a low-budget whiteboard. At the end of the article, I am going to finish off by answering a few frequently asked questions.
My criteria when picking a Magnetic White Board
Quality of the materials of the product
If I buy a product, I want it to last. It needs to be made out of great quality materials, and I don’t want to have the feeling that I have bought a piece of junk. If I notice that the manufacturer made shortcuts and used inferior materials and is still asking for a high price, I am not going to advise the whiteboard.
It is vital for me that it doesn’t break down as soon as the warranty is up. For whiteboards, I want to have at least ten years of fun with this board.
Aesthetics of the product
A whiteboard is a pretty big thing to hang in your home office. So it needs to look the part. I don’t want a whiteboard to be the centerpiece of the office.
It is pretty important to me that it isn’t trying to be more than just a part of the office. I don’t want to be distracted or have the overall atmosphere of the office become dull.
The price of the Magnetic White Board
I want to get the best deal possible. If I feel that the profit margin for the company is just a little too healthy for them, I am not going to recommend it. This is probably my most important criterion of all.
That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t recommend an expensive magnetic whiteboard. If I feel it is worth the money and is actually a great option if you have the budget for it, I will definitely talk about the whiteboard.
Reviews and complaints others have about the product
Sometimes you just have a bad experience while hundreds of others had no problem, or you don’t notice a problem until someone points it out to you. This is why I take into account the experience of other people who have bought the whiteboard.
Keep in mind, the products that I am recommending have already gone through a pretty strict filter. So when I am talking about a lot of negative comments, these are at most 4% of the total reviews. 96% of the reviews are still going to be positive, even if I rate it as badly reviewed.
Extra features of the product
Does the whiteboard have anything that might come in handy when you are working? This is going to be a nice added bonus, but it isn’t a deal-breaker.
If it is a great whiteboard and doesn’t have many bells and whistles, that is only a minor issue. It needs to do its primary task perfectly; that is what is crucial.
- Price – AmazonBasics products are known for often being one of the cheapest – if not the cheapest – options available on the market. This whiteboard is not going to break the bank. If you have a small budget or you want to get a spare magnetic whiteboard for another room or a student dorm, this one is perfect. The price is giving this board a massive amount of points in my book.
- Aesthetics – I like the basic look of this board. It doesn’t grab the attention, it fits into any office, and it does not give you the feeling that you are stuck in a classroom. The whiteboard is available in a bunch of different sizes, so you can pick one that is ideal for your home office. There isn’t anything that stands out about this magnetic whiteboard, and that is fine, as this makes sure it is a great fit for any home office decor.
- Quality of the materials – The price and quality of the material ratio are amazing. Yet, the materials aren’t the best ever, but what you are getting is definitely more than worth it for this price. If you take care of the board, it is going to last you many years. So I would definitely say this board is made from quality materials, even if some don’t agree with me on this point.
- Reviews of others – Like most AmazonBasic products, people tend to judge them a bit harsher for some reason. There are quite some complaints about the sturdiness of the board, and a lot about it arriving damaged. So, while I did not have this experience and I don’t really agree with it, I am going to put it in the con section anyway.
- Extra features – This is a basic whiteboard. This isn’t a big con, but I can’t put it in the pros section. For this price, you can’t really expect them to add features like, e.g., a backlight. So this is only a minor markdown for the AmazonBasics magnetic whiteboard.
- Quality of materials – This is a sturdy, nice-looking, heavy magnetic whiteboard. You can feel that the materials used aren’t cheap plastic. The whiteboard itself feels very solid and won’t scratch easily. The solid wooden frame finish scores a lot of points for me. The wood feels very sturdy and of high quality to me.
- Reviews of others – People seem to absolutely love this board too. There isn’t any negative point that I can find that consistently comes back. Some people seem to have trouble to mount or hang the whiteboard; however, this seems to be a trend amongst every whiteboard on the market.
- Aesthetics– I love the looks of this magnetic whiteboard. It does not draw any attention to it, and it makes a great addition to the home office to create a professional and productive atmosphere. This is really a good buy if you are looking for something that gives that little extra touch to your home office.
- Extra features – The magnetic whiteboard has no fascinating features that would make it easier to use. It doesn’t have an alternate hanging system, and it doesn’t have built-in lights to make the whiteboard light up in a dark place. Again, these are just minor things, but it does make a whiteboard stand out from the rest.
- Price – I think this magnetic whiteboard is just a few dollars too expensive. You wouldn’t get this board like this for a dorm room. The price is not a big hurdle, and it might be just me being cheap. If you can get this board with a discount, definitely go for it.
- Extra features – This magnetic glass whiteboard has one amazing feature that I just can’t get enough of. It doesn’t leave any stains or ghost marks when you whip it. I really love this as it saves me a ton of time and gives a very clean look to the office.
- The reviews of other people – This is one of the best-reviewed magnetic whiteboards for a reason. It has barely any negative reviews, but for one minor point, it is pretty hard to assemble and mount. However, I can’t really count this as a big con, as it seems that every single whiteboard has this downside to it.
- Aesthetics – The board is absolutely gorgeous. If you want to increase the appeal of your home office, who would have thought a whiteboard would do the trick so well. It really adds a very nice classy element to your office and gives it a professional look. This is by far the best-looking magnetic white book I have seen on the market.
- Quality of the materials – Saving the best for last, the quality of the materials used for this glass whiteboard is amazing. If you take care of this whiteboard, it will last you a lifetime. Despite being glass, it does not feel like it is going to break any time soon. Unlike cheap
- Price – Well, you might have seen this one coming, but this isn’t for someone on a tight budget. This is for the more serious, high-budget home office worker. I would not place this in more casual rooms like a dorm room or a bedroom that happens to have a desk. It is way too pricey for that, in my opinion. I do think it is worth the money. However, it is hard to justify spending this much on a whiteboard for casual use.
- Price – This is a great deal for a magnetic whiteboard. It’s not going to break the bank. The price point makes it a great magnetic whiteboard for a dorm or just a bedroom that also has a desk. Of course, you can also place it in a home office you use, though I would get a better one if you don’t casually use that office and whiteboards.
- Extra features – If you don’t want too much of a hassle while installing your whiteboard, then this is the best one. It has a fixing kit which makes it very easy to mount the board vertically and horizontally. The corners are screw fixed, too, so that is a nice bonus. As you see from the name, it is also dry whip which is something I really like.
- Other people their reviews – The VIZ-PRO magnetic dry-erase board is very well-loved online. There are barely any negative reviews to find. This is definitely due to the easy installation of the whiteboard, which makes people a lot less frustrated.
- Aesthetic – I don’t like how this board looks. It is dull and doesn’t add anything to the room. This is a minor point of critique, but I do think the Amazon basic board simply looks a lot better than this one.
- Quality of the materials – The materials of this board just don’t feel all that sturdy to me. While the price is perfect, you immediately get the sense of why the price is that low. I feel some shortcuts have been taken in putting this product together and sourcing the materials to make it.
Final verdict: How they compare
There is a wide range amongst magnetic whiteboards—much more than you would expect when you decide one day that you need to buy a whiteboard. I have managed to bring it down to four very solid picks. Now, time for the ones I think out deserve a little accolade.
Best magnetic whiteboard overall – Quartet Glass Whiteboard, Magnetic Dry Erase White Board
If you want a professional atmosphere in your home office, you will definitely enjoy having this amazing magnetic whiteboard. If you take care of this glass whiteboard, it is going to last you many years. It is easy to clean, feels extremely well made, and is simply a class above all other whiteboards.
However, it was expensive. If you don’t have a big budget to decorate your home office, or you just want a casual magnetic whiteboard for in a dorm or a bedroom that happens to have a desk, this is going to be too much.
Best magnetic whiteboard on a budget – AmazonBasics Magnetic Framed Dry Erase White Board
If you are going to use the whiteboard very casually, or if you just need a spare one, this one is perfect. The price-quality ratio is amazing. It looks really good, and the price is unbeatable for what you are getting. It is quite easy to install and very light, so you move it around and mount it without any help.
What are premium whiteboards made from?
There are quite a lot of different materials high-end whiteboards are made of. These are the four most commonly used:
- Porcelain – This is the most common among premium materials. It is very easy to clean and does not stain easily. It is pretty expensive but if you do not want to clean your whiteboard every so often, or if you want your whiteboard to remain pristine for a long time.
- Magnetic glass – Magnetic glass is one of my favorite materials for whiteboards. They are easy to take care of, it is not too expensive and it, of course, they are magnetic! This really comes in very handy if you want to use your whiteboard as an announcement board too.
- Tempered glass – Tempered glass looks very luxurious and gives a home office a high-end corporate feel. It is the easiest to take care of since stains are easily removed. They are also very durable and will probably last you a lifetime if you clean them often enough.
- Melamine – Melamine is the all-around on this list. It is good at almost everything, cleaning, writing, durability, but not great. If you want a safe bet, this is the way to go! Melamine whiteboards are also a very affordable option.
What essentials do I need to buy with my whiteboard?
- Pens – You are going to need a pen for your whiteboard, or you won’t be able to use it. Try to find pens that are non-permanent. These are going to make sure your whiteboard does not need to be cleaned as often.
- Erasers – You will need eraser pens to get out the stains. Don’t try to save money on these. It is going to be important to keep your whiteboard stain-free for as long as possible. Try to also buy some that remove permanent markers.
- Hanging trays – While you can definitely do without these, they are very handy to have. You won’t lose your pens and save a lot of time not having to look for them.
- Magnets – These are an underestimated office essential. If you have bought a magnetic whiteboard, you can turn it into an announcement or notice board right away. I recommend you get 20 or so of them. If you have a hanging tray, it is going to help you not lose the magnets.
Should I buy a mobile whiteboard?
This really depends on your home office. A mobile whiteboard can be pretty useful. However, they do take a lot more space than the one you mount on the wall. If you do not have a lot of space you will be better of with a wall-mounted whiteboard.
If you do not have a free wall, then you are probably going to need a mobile whiteboard. It is also a useful thing to have if you have a separate storage place where you can just store your whiteboard until you need it again.
Frequently asked questions about magnetic whiteboards
Answer: A magnetic whiteboard should be cleaned every week. It is best to do this with a special cleaner. If you do not clean it on time, marks may be left behind by the ink.
If you do have a ghost mark of ink that does not want to go out, you can use a dry erase marker to cover up the mark and the ink. Then you will be able to easily erase the whole thing without any problem.
Answer: By far, the installation of the whiteboard seems to be the most frustrating part about getting one. If you do not like doing DIY, try to find a whiteboard that has an installation kit or search for reviews that mention the ease of installation.
Another thing people seem to mind is that some whiteboards are very hard to clean and leave ghost marks. You should find a whiteboard that has a porcelain surface which is much easier to clean than, e.g., a melanin surface.
Answer: Most of them are, but not all of them. Even when you buy a waterproof whiteboard, they can still get damaged and become no longer waterproof. That is why if you clean them with water, you should always dry them off right away. I do like alcohol wipes the most for cleaning my whiteboard as the alcohol evaporates instantly and seems to be much better at cleaning all the ink and dust away. On top of that, your whiteboard seems to stay white a lot longer if you clean it with alcohol (or a specialized cleaning solution) as opposed to just water.
Do you think we have missed a great magnetic whiteboard? Or do you want to share your experience with a whiteboard you have bought? Let us know in the comments!
Summary and final thoughts about magnetic whiteboards
A whiteboard can be a great addition to your home office. There is one for any user. If you only use it for a weekly to-do list, you can find an option that won’t break the bank in any way. If you are running a business from home and you need a big whiteboard for your Zoom meetings that you are going to use daily, you have a lot of options to pick from, too.
If you don’t have a whiteboard yet in your home office and you are thinking of getting one, I suggest you go with a budget option and see how you like it. I am using mine a lot more than I thought I would. The feeling of writing and crossing off your to-do’s of the day on the whiteboard just feels so much more satisfying.